FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE FOR COMMISSIONING A PORTRAIT?
- Contact The Portrait Group by filling out our form on this website.
- Include detailed information about the subject to be painted.
- Is this a child or adult?
- What medium would you like?
- Will the style of the portrait be formal or informal?
- Is there a specific budget for the portrait
- Where will the portrait hang? This will often determine size?
- Will the setting be inside or outdoors?
- What will the subject wear?
- Will there be an unveiling ceremony?
- Is this a posthumous portrait?
The artist will determine the overall composition upon arrival for the sitting. The subject has only to settle back and enjoy the procedure. It is a happy occasion that will be reflected in the completed portrait.
WHAT DOES A PORTRAIT COST?
Portraits are priced according to the following:
- Artist selected for the portrait commission. All of our artists have different fee ranges.
- Medium chosen – pencil, graphite, pastel, oil
- Size of the portrait - head and shoulders, half-figure, three-quarter figure or full figure.
- Number of subjects in the portrait. Many artists offer a significant discount for each additional subject added to the same portrait.
AFTER I SELECT ONE ARTIST, WHAT ARE THE NEXT STEPS?
- Arrangements are made for a convenient time for the artist to come to the home or office of the subject for sittings that generally involve a photographing session that may include sketching and color studies of the subject.
- With the client’s approval, the artist may suggest the best photograph composition for the portrait.
- The artist returns to his or her studio to begin the portrait.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO PAINT THE PORTRAIT?
The length of time from beginning to completion of the portrait depends on the artist’s schedule. An average time for a portrait from sittings to delivery can be 3 to 10 months.
WILL THE PORTRAIT BE DELIVERED FRAMED?
The frame is not included in the price of the portrait. If preferred, the artist may assist with the selection and purchase of the frame prior to delivery of the portrait. However, clients often prefer to have the portrait framed at a local frame shop or framer of their choice.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE TRAVEL AND LODGING EXPENSES?
The client is responsible for these charges. Additional expenses may include insurance, crating, shipping and state sales tax where applicable.
CAN PORTRAITS BE PAINTED FROM PHOTOGRAPHS?
Many of our artists are happy to paint portraits from superior quality professional photographs provided by the client. We invite you to inquire about this service.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I AM NOT PLEASED WITH THE COMPLETED PORTRAIT?
Artists represented by The Portrait Group guarantee their work. This means you must be satisfied with the completed portrait. Our artists are highly professional and capable of making changes or corrections to the portrait. The goal of The Portrait Group and our artists is for the client to be completely satisfied with the completed portrait.